Sunday, February 20, 2011

Three.


My baby boy turns three tomorrow. I have finally gotten used to the bittersweet feeling his birthdays bring. Happy because I love to see him grow and learn and because he is just so much more fun the older he gets. Sad because the time is going so fast and pushing "slow motion" or "pause" just isn't an option.


He continues to be really needy and demanding of my attention. I try so hard to be patient with him but I would be lying if I said it didn't lose my cool on occasion. I keep reminding myself that when he grows out of this Momma's Boy phase, I will be sad that he no longer needs me like he used to.


He is a very sensitive, smart, and a hilarious little guy. He has a sense of humor I don't think I've ever witnessed in another young child. He "gets" funny, even some adult humor that should be above his head, he gets.


Given his personality, I still spend time each night rocking him in his rocking chair before bed. Lately he has been serenading me with various songs and nursery rhymes; Humpty Dumpty, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, etc. I was looking at him, really looking at him tonight and got misty-eyed. Three years ago, his entire body took up the spanse of my forearm. Tonight, his long legs dangle off of my own and my mind can't quite catch up to how big he has gotten.


Happy Birthday, Tucker Shay. You changed me and I am so thankful for you every day of my life. There is nothing I wouldn't do for you. You color my world. I love you to the moon and back.

No comments: